Sunday, October 24, 2010

Happy 100th TETONIA!

I grew up in a place commonly referred to as the following: God's country, Zion, the most beautiful place on the planet, The Valley (sorry LA, we are the real "Valley"), population 132 and then in 2000 we became population 247! Who knows what the population sign will read once the census results are published for 2010. Tetonia is small in population but large in character and rich in beauty.

I lived not only in this same town up until I left for college but also on the same plot of property, that's right! We started on one end of the lot for the first 7 years of Dadio and Mama Berry's marriage in this rockin green trailer. Matty and I had these awesome bunk beds, although I never got to sleep on the top (which I'm still disappointed over). We had a wood stove in our living room, where I would hide my vitamins after Mama Berry gave them to me in the mornings (any guesses what color red and purple vitamins melted on wood stove make...closely resembles a black stove). When I was five years old our house was finished in the middle of that same property. I had my own room with pink carpet (what was I thinking??). After Squasher was born I loved to the basement, where my room had no carpet...for years. Sensing a theme on my poor luck of carpet choices here? Moving beyond the carpet issue now; that house is sweet! It also had the most gorgeous view out of the arched windows of The Grand Tetons, until someone thought it was a good idea to build an ugly barn in front of us...a story for another time! Growing up in a small town is an experience that if you embrace it you'll love!

Reasons why Tetonia is still home in this little heart of mine

1. Obviously God's country should be home to us all
2. My family lives in Tetonia (again an obvious reason)
3. We didn't have any STOP signs in our town until I was sixteen (therefore I use this as justification for my lack of adhering to these STOP signs having not learned to drive with STOP signs)
4. Growing up across the street from the grandparents has the best perks (i.e. constant spoiling, a second home to hide to avoid chores, sweets in every shape and form, and your own couch to lay on)
5. The shortcut through the alley between my house and Classic Stop
6. Having the Post Office within walking distance (and by walking distance I mean across the street)
7. Having the church house within walking distance (and by walking distance I mean across the street again)
8. Having the elementary school within walking distance (and by walking distance I mean across the street again)
9. The park was a block in the other direction and felt like it belonged to you, not the town, not the neighbor girl, not the person that mows it, but you
Dadio with the girls! MoCo is sure happy for the parade!
Squasher the Exxon Tiger
Now that she has candy she's much happier!
And the wannabe beauty queen, Averina! (she'll grow out of this phase I'm sure)
Above mentioned park!

Happy 100 years HOME!

3 comments:

Bryan said...

"8. Having the elementary school within walking distance (and by walking distance I mean across the street again)" - and by walking distance she took this literally! When some rude boy looked at her and told her to go home... she did, in the middle of recess!

Emily said...

Ha, ha. I remember you taking Bryan literally and "going home." When we told the teacher, she was pretty shocked you actually took off! LOL. Good times.

Jess said...

Haha...man that boy was rude! ;)

Yet as I remember I biked home. There are just certain things we never live down!