Sunday, December 14, 2008

Grateful Gourd: Isn't It About Time


Now some of you might be asking yourselves why I am now writing a grateful post when Thanksgiving has come and gone. The so-called "grateful" train took off a few weeks ago Jess while you were golfing; get with the program. I have three responses to the obvious confusion and questioning.

1. Last time I checked the blog author is me so therefore I can run on my own schedule.
2. Mike(y) and I didn't open the Grateful Gourd until December.
3. My 177th post had to be special so I was waiting patiently; and given it is the 177th post it is lengthy but well worth the read!

The Grateful Gourd!

Heather Majors randomly emailed one evening and asked to stop by, we obviously accepted. She presented us with a ceramic green gourd and a stack of paper slips; explaining that we should write things we are grateful for as the month progressed and at the end of the month share with one another our thoughts. We gave it the awesome name!

I found myself somewhat addicted to the grateful gourd, it really did seem that everyday I was finding new things to be grateful for and got a slight thrill each time I tucked my thought into the gourd. I found myself emerged with things to write on the little slips of paper each day. I have decided everyone should have one, a grateful gourd that is. Mikey was a little harder of a sale but when the fateful day of the Grateful Gourd reading came Mike followed through like a base hit in the bottom of the ninth to score the winning run; in a word she was clutch.

I made Sloppy Dan's (for those that have had the privilege you can be jealous right now or if you haven't come see me and if you are lucky I will whip up a batch) and sweet potatoes (we are from Idaho after all), and even got Sparkling Cider to toast our gratitude.

It was amazing to read and look back on what we were grateful for. Some were serious things, others comical, others only Mike and I would understand, but all had the same tone: Thanksgiving!

Below are just a few of our random slips of gratitude; but there will be more to come as we've decided that the Grateful Gourd will reside year round at Park Blvd.

We Thank Thee O God For A Prophet
The Days when Max Hall was NOT the BYU QB
Funny emails from my girls
Yes on Prop 8
Adam's email 11/30
JB&MP are so skinny their clothes don't fit!
Silver bullets (our Hondas)
Heather Majors
My Gomer
Our testimonies
Costco tortillas
H&M (the people)
A roommate who forces me to write out thankful slips for the grateful gourd
The smell of wet grass at the golf course
Sloppy Dan's
The temple
DVR baby
Adam (The Inca warrior)
Jed's email
Sachi's gorilla hugs
The Top 5 (mine and Mike's!)
Being polished as silver
Rob Daines
Gchats
Gustavo, Gustavo, Gustavo!

Last but definitely not least in our home: Dr. Pepper BABY!

2 comments:

moma berry said...

sounds like a great idea and i liked your sample reading. love mom

Sunshine said...

H&M - wooo!