Friday, November 12, 2010

Making The Most Out Of Our Circumstances...

A couple of weeks ago I was with my friend, TB. She shared this poem with me. I can't possibly express how much these words spoke to my heart. As someone that has less than two functioning limbs I naturally have limitations, yet it is still up to me as to whether I allow those limitations to cripple me or whether I strive for a "wing" to fill in the physical gap by continually reaching beyond the so-called cap on my grasp.

Thanks so much TB!

A Man

While fighting for his country, he lost an arm
and was suddenly afraid:
'From now on, I shall only be able to do
things by halves.

I shall reap half a harvest.
I shall be able to play either the tune
or the accompaniment on the piano,
but never both parts together.
I shall be able to bang with only one fist
on doors, and worst of all
I shall only be able to half hold
my love close to me.
There will be things I cannot do at all,
applaud for example,
at shows where everyone applauds.'

From that moment on, he set himself to do
everything with twice as much enthusiasm.
And where the arm had been torn away
a wing grew.

- Nina Cassian

No comments: