Sunday, March 27, 2011

Thoughts on the Mormon Message Video Contest

As some of you know a few people in my ward decided to enter a Mormon Message video contest put on by our church about the service rendered to me as I live with cerebral palsy. I've learned recently that for some it is surprising to learn that I have cerebral palsy. I do in fact have cerebral palsy. Don't feel bad for not realizing (I fool folks all the time, hehe), I have a mild case affecting my right side, I compensate very well, and up until the last couple of months haven't publicly shared what struggles I face and blessings I receive because of my cerebral palsy.

The experience of working on this video contest has been quite an amazing opportunity. I've been able to sense the impact that I have had on others at times but to hear it verbalized in such kind, loving, and sincere ways has been a very overwhelming and humbling experience. At times I almost felt like I was at my own funeral listening to others speak of me, hehe. The sampling of folks shown in the video is only a glimpse of the amazing people that so graciously serve me. I have been rather blessed to have such love given to me by so very many friends and servants of God. Thanks to each of you. Whether you appear in the video or not please know that I sincerely appreciate the sacrifices you each make in order to serve and love me.

It has been difficult for me to pour out such personal and tender thoughts to a camera, knowing that potentially it could go viral (at this point the viral spread has started), but I'm also recognizing that it is a good way to share my testimony of Jesus Christ. I'm learning also that I'm a little more tender than I let on, sometimes. :)

I hope as people watch our video that they feel of the love that can develop as we serve one another, in large and small ways, that they will have an increased desire to look around them to see who is in need of a helping hand or maybe just a loving smile that day, that they will recognize the importance of asking for and humbly accepting service, and see that as service is given it blesses both the receiver and the giver.

No comments: