Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Happy Graduation Anniversary Jed!

A year ago yesterday Jed and I graduated from college together and so I figured this week's post was rather fitting of the occasion.

Graduation was a surreal experience, much more enjoyable than my high school graduation! About three weeks prior to graduation, the College of Business and Communications emailed me asking me whether I was planning on “attending” convocation. I simply responded that yes I was planning on attending. The next day I received another email thanking me for my willingness to “participate” in convocation and that I was selected to be the convocation speaker at graduation. By one simple email string, I had been tricked into speaking at graduation. Immediately I flashed back to my high school graduation speech, the dread and sickness was present again. Only this time, my first thought wasn’t whether I’d trip on the way to the pulpit, it was fear of speaking along side an Apostle of the Lord.

It was so fun and unique to graduate with my Uncle Jed (yes, my Uncle that is just barely older than me ;)). Not many grandparents can say they had a grandchild and a son graduate from college together. It was only fitting that we graduate together. If it weren’t for me Jed wouldn’t have passed his religion classes, thus not being able to graduate. Jed will one day be able to thank me properly with free doctor consultations and an added Christmas bonus when he’s rolling in the dough. He is so blessed to have such a great niece and he’ll be the first to admit that fact.

The night before graduation my parents threw a party for Jed and I at Jaker’s! Yah for prime rib! My Dad has always known the way to my heart! It was so nice to be all together. I had to chuckle because Dan and Pat gave laundry detergent and rolls of quarters. They had been spoiling me for so many years and they wanted my parting gift to be useful. I truly have such a wonderful family!

The actual convocation speech went much better than expected. I even cracked a small joke about my height. Elder Hales thought I was funny, which after the fact made me less nervous, too bad that he didn’t tell me beforehand. I was shocked by the overwhelming emotions that that day brought on. I remember almost crying as I spoke with Bro. Jim Taylor, Bro. Kevin Packard, Bro. Josh Holt (whom was also my Dad’s professor many moons ago) and Bro. Bruce Kusch after the meeting. If I had to pick favorite professors these four men are it. They each taught me many lessons that go beyond business and accounting skills. It is easy to dream about the momentous occasion as a girl (it seems so far into the distance) and then within a few blinks the moment is there and you are just beginning to grasp the reality that you have met this achievement that you really have spent every moment of your life working towards thus far. In retrospect I may not have appreciated the journey at the time I was taking it to make it to that point as I should have, but looking back I appreciate the joy and opposition of it all. There are obvious moments that I would do over again or repeat and there are periods that I’m thankful are passed me now.

2 comments:

Jewels said...

I just have one thing to say to you. You are amazing!

Cassie Mickelsen said...

Hey Jessica, I saw your comments and I appreciate the sarcastic remarks, I hope everything is going well for you. I never knew you were asked to speak at graduation, that's really cool. Good thing I was able to help you get all those A's in the Accounting classes. But don't worry i'll let you take the glory for it.