Thursday, February 25, 2010

Unplugging: A needed habit

Last week with the power out at my office and my home I was left to a darken apartment. My awesome boss suggested that I go for a walk, saying it was beautiful outside. What else could I do? No power meant no Internet. At first that caused panic to rise in my blackberry carrying, two laptops open at a time, with a third available in case of an emergency little heart. Taking my boss's suggestion I turned in my high heels for my running shoes, grabbed my fully charged iPod (thank goodness my brothers were boy scouts and that always "Be prepared" motto rubbed off on me where it really counts), and headed out onto the streets of sunny Palo Alto in February (yes it is sunny and warm in the winter in this place called California).

Quickly I realized that I was not the only lost soul wandering the streets as a mid-morning pass time. I wonder what others were listening to on their iPods? I took the chance to listen to much need words on meekness by Elder Maxwell (a voice that could soothe a crying baby). Listening to discourses on meekness for this girl is needed in high doses. I would imagine on a gorgeous day like this that no one was playing angry chick music on their iPods.

I watched the employees of the Soviet Safeway sit outside in flatbed pickups, as if they were assigned the night watch at a prison. One wrong glance towards those electric doors that remained open all day and I'd be plummeted by the bag-boy. A lady, with much wisdom in years, dressed in a bright purple blouse stopped me along the sidewalk. Within 15 minutes I knew her emergency plan, which included loading all of her food into her RV's fridge and then driving the 2.3 miles to Mtn View and hooking up to "life" again. As I was to start my walk again she instructed me that next time I'm in the market for a stove it MUST be a gas stove. Noted. Just as I was rounding the corner to the park I observed a gray-haired lady in a mini skirt, complete with black leggings biking down the street on a red tricycle-just like the tricycle that my neighbor, Luella, had growing up. I loved that trike! I almost chased this lady and offered to buy it off her-I would have offered to give her a pump back home of course. Who knew walking the streets of Palo Alto could lead to more entertaining people watching than attending another Mormon frat party?

I spent hours in the park that day. I wrote in my journal (I don't do that enough)...six pages later I had a hand cramp. Yet I was able record precious thoughts, random thoughts, thoughts about that awkward moment last week, that compliment that was oh not so smooth but made me melt all at the same time, my love for Palo Alto, and the dreams of swinging and playing Frisbee.

What did I realize after this day of being unplugged? I don't spend enough time outdoors. I should swing on a monthly basis (minimum requirement). Motivational speaking is something I should do someday (HN, please start working on this). I can make it a whole day without the Internet. EVERYONE in Palo Alto owns a dog, I could live without that. Flowers bloom in February, I don't think I could live without that.

New goal: spend time every week in the park writing-without a wireless signal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great post! i think i would also benefit from some wireless time...