Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Nine Years Ago Today...

I was in a car accident that should have been fatal on my way to work at the golf course, just two days before my 16th birthday. I was speeding on a dirt road that was in washboard condition, not a very smart idea. I am just lucky that I made it to see my 16th birthday. I think about that day often. I had actually rushed out of the house in a huff because I was late. I made almost an unconscious decision that morning to wear my seatbelt, it possibly was one of the most defining decisions of my life yet at the time I was blind to the significance it would have.

There were many miracles that morning. As I reflected on what should have happened that morning I was in awe with the hand of the Lord in sparing my life. The Lord deemed my life worth providing such miracles to give me the opportunity to live. This was miracle number seven of the day. As each year passes by my gratitude increases for the miracles that happened that morning to allow me to continually experience the precious gift we call life. I look at the many struggles, joys, successes, trials, pains, and lessons learned I have had in the past nine years and can’t possibly imagine not having had the chance to experience it all. Last week I posted a quote by Mary Oliver that asked: What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? The Lord gave me the miracle on that Saturday morning in September to ask myself that question every day. What my hope and prayer is each time I ask myself this question is that the way I’m living the one wild and precious life that God gave me and spared is pleasing to Him and that it is continually aligning with His plan for my life.

Life is good. Yes it is hard, sometimes harder than we expect, but our capacity to handle the hard is much greater (thanks to a loving Heavenly Father) than we realize most of the time. As this anniversary comes around again I am excited for the next year of living that I GET to experience because the last nine has been amazingly worthwhile. Life is wild and precious.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

What an amazing post. It gave me chills. I am truly blessed by the miracle of your life and I love you.

Happy Birthday!!!