Saturday, September 11, 2010

Traditional Birthday Celebration

We Berrys have our traditions...which made this Berry National Holiday (my 25th!) even better. 1. Ice cream cake, see above (I believe this tradition was instituted by Dadio's sweet tooth)
2. Measuring wisdom based on growth, hence no wisdom increasing from this girl since she was 14 years or so. Sam Jam on the other hand will probably be towering over me by next year. Actually who am I trying to fool, probably by this Christmas.
3. We always invite Susie Q (if she's behaving well, hehe)
***Sidenote on this cheesy photo. Dadio was giving us a hard time that we both have the same "fake, show all your teeth" smile. Turns out he was right. Also turns out that is my "real" smile!
4. Oatmeal cake for MY birthday! Don't knock it till you've tried it folks. It is delicious...and that is understating the goodness of this cake, the only cake I actually prefer any time of the year.
(The girls and I)
5. You can't really photograph the vocal talent that the Berrys and Ericksons possess when it comes to singing Happy Birthday. I failed by not recording it this year. Things that make it more special than any other way of performing it: singing loud, singing off key, the more off key the better, oh and when Jed Fred or I are participating (our talent pushes it right over the top!). For those of that haven't ever participated or haven't been privileged to receive such a unique harmony you're missing out and I suggest one of two ways to rectify this: 1. Be in our family or 2. Be cool enough to have me share it with you. Good luck!
6. The attempt at birthday spankings still happen, even at my age
7. And I still fight back! Even when Poncho is holding your one good arm...

4 comments:

tball said...

Hey Jess, looks like you had an awaesome BDay! No wonder we didn't catch each other on the phone...you were busy golfing! And I didn't realize you were back in the valley for a visit...looks like fun. (And I don't have the recipe for oatmeal cake?) Agree Sam Jam is going to pass you by soon...and would like to see you w/ Ryan since he's w/in an inch of Jeff now. :)

Jess said...

Haha, yeah it was a last minute decision to go and we did golf A LOT!! I'll email you the recipe for oatmeal cake, you'll love it!

I have no hope to actually be taller than a single cousin once they've reached adulthood. Hope Ryan had a wonderful bday as well.

Brandy said...

happy late birthday Jess.. Looks like you had a great time!!

moma berry said...

the happy b day song was pretty good this time as jessica wasn't singing(she was guest of honor) and Jed wasn't home to sing either...hehe we did have a great time while jess was home