Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Missy Higgins and the Search for the Phantom Wendy's

Preface to actual evening: I LOVE Wendy's! I'm the girl that when I fly home to Idaho my Dad has my favorite comida (Spicy Chicken, Fries, and a Dr. Pepper) waiting when I get off the plane. Yes, my Dad LOVES me! Keep this deep love of Wendy's in mind as the story below unfolds.

It all started with Mikey and I discussing our desire for Wendy's prior to the Missy Higgins concert last night. Mikey used her Google Maps Recon skills to procure directions to the 4 closest Wendy's. After a mid-day chat with Heather about what to order that evening, our mouths were salivating! Meredith and I should have guessed the evening would go awry after our attempt to win the Darwin awards for the evening by filling Mikey's car tires with air.

Our Wendy's of choice was in Daly City. While the Google Map was vague regarding the exit, we were determined and prepared like Boy Scouts with backup locations. If anyone knows the actual exit that Mission St is on, please email Google! After a quick drive-by in Daly City, we opted for procuring our chief navigator (Heather, who from this point on will be referred to as HC) and find a Wendy's in the City. Please note that about five years ago, my family was in San Francisco and one night we were starving and stumbled upon a Wendy's on Market St. To no avail we never saw the Wendy's that once was. Off to Pine St to satisfy our Frosty needs. After driving through the Tenderloin district (please keep all eyes forward, doors locked, and limbs inside the vehicle at all time!), we came to Pine only to find that it was One-Way. No fear HC quickly directed us to California St. to back track to Pine St. We were so close. You could practically smell the salt and grease of the fries. Once again the One Way streets were trying to deter our mission, but Mer and I opted for a good old-fashion "jump out of the car and run a few blocks". 200 Pine St does exist but is the proud home of the "Law Offices of WE DON'T CARE". At this point in the adventure you can't help but laugh at the karma that we were being served. One more drive up Market St. to prove that the Wendy's in the City is simply a Phantom, we were searching for 658 Market St, according to Google Maps. Now while I find Wendy's to be top notch, it is still fast food. So you can imagine our surprise and laughter by the fact that 658 Market St. is the home of The Ritz-Carlton! Mer will personally be filing a formal complaint with our resident Google employee (Ryan Brown).

At this point we had to get to the venue of the concert or else we'd be missing the main point of the adventure. Upon Mer and I rolling out of the car while it was moving to obtain our tickets, Mer realized that one must have their ID to enter the club. Using her classic "Mer charm", she started chatting the Bouncer up and explaining her absent mind of leaving her ID in Palo Alto. The bouncer proceeded to drill her with questions. Here were her classic and impressive responses. What year were you born? 1983, March 25! What year did you graduate high school? 2001! Where ever it was in Ohio, followed by a Mer signature fist held high "Go Bucks!". Did you go to college? Yes, BYU. BS in 05, MS in 07! That ladies and gentlemen is how a girl that looks 18 years old gets into a club without an ID! After Mikey Page parked on Page St., the Fab Four made it to the concert! It was amazing!!! Missy Higgins can do an awesome American accent and has pipes to boot!

At 11:27 pm in a little place called Redwood City, we finally found our Wendy's! Better late than never! Mer's gchat status this morning read "I heart Frostys". A perfect ending to a crazy evening in the City that won't soon be forgotten.

3 comments:

kt said...

for a minute I was worried it wouldn't have a happy ending!!!!!

hooray for dave thomas! [that's my dad ;-)]

Sandi said...

I had no idea you loved Wendy's. Mike and I love Wendy's too. And as a matter of fact after reading your story we had to go there for lunch yesterday...it was so delicious. I am glad you were finally able to enjoy the delights of Wendy's. We will have to go there together sometime when we are both back in Rexburg.

Jess said...

Yes SJ! I knew you and M loved Wendy's. Remember how Mike's dad use to own the one in Rexburg? But yes, we should go! Hit Wendy's and TT! ;) I'll call you back tonight or tomorrow. my phone never rang, just got the message later. Odd.