Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Joshy Squashy Turns Sweet Sixteen!

When I was seven years old, my mom had another baby. His name is Josh. I cried when he was born because I had wanted a little sister. Through my tears, I told the doctor to take him back. As I gained more wisdom through the years I realized that I should be thankful for another boy. Having only brothers made me stronger and more aggressive/assertive than most girls. I also have two boys that would fiercely protect me and have many times throughout my life. I love Matty and Joshy more than words would ever be able to express. In retrospect I see clearly the hand of the Lord placing those two boys in my life and in our family.

My brother Josh and I hadn’t always gotten along as good as we should, but since leaving home for college I realized how much I love that kid. When I was struggling with college my freshmen year, Josh brought me a pack of Almond Joy candy bars with a note attached saying: To: Jessica Be Happy From: Josh. That small gesture meant so much to me.

At the end of May 2007, I began the grueling drive to the Bay Area. We left after a baseball game of Josh’s. When I had to say goodbye to my boys I started to cry like a baby. I never am quite able express fully the love I have for Matt and Josh. They are more than my brothers, they are my friends, my protectors, my heroes, and they are where I feel most like myself. Matty and Joshy know my strengths and my weaknesses, they know I’m odd so there is no need to try to impress. I sometimes wonder if they miss me as much as I miss them. If they read this their answer better be something like “Jess, we miss you more than words and actions can express” (Hint, Hint).

Josh is definitely the character in our family! I am so impressed by Josh and his comic personality! From being one of the three best baseball “players in the state” to being the mightiest hunter west of the Mississippi to giving free tickets to the gun show to being the best uncle, Joshy Squashy is the best little brother in the world! HAPPY BIRTHDAY KID!

2 comments:

Matt Berry said...

“Jess, we miss you more than words and actions can express” (Hint, Hint).

Deborah said...

That was sweet.