Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Lucky Number Seven!

Background and justification to my Craziness! ;)

"In the Hebrew, seven ([b'v, - Sheh'-bah) is from a root word meaning to be complete or full. This can be clearly seen from the first time a variant of this word is used in the Bible.

"1Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. 2And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made."

Genesis 2:1-3

God rested on the seventh day because his work of creation was complete, entire, perfect. Thus seven represents this perfect completeness and also it represents rest, as in the rest that is taken from work. It is from this same word that the Sabbath, the day of rest comes. But as well as this spiritual perfection, seven seems also to be used in another way in scripture. Patterns of sevens run through the scripture more abundantly than any other number. "



The number 7 in general is my lucky number. I almost have an insane attachment to the number. I wake up on a 7 no matter what every morning. (i.e. 4:47, 6:37, 7:07) It is so odd that even if I want to push the snooze button, I wait one minute until 6:38 to push the snooze because it only snoozes for 9 minutes and that way I wake up again at 6:47. In all the repetition one does at the gym I go to 17, not 15. When I do curls I go to 17 and then count 17
seven more times before I finish. While running on cardio machines I always cool down until a 7 hits on the timer. If I miss the 7, I go another 10 seconds to hit the next one. (Slight case of OCD). My favorite/best birthday was my 17th birthday (my parents took me to Vegas and I spent the week laying by the pool and reading, shopping, attended my first rock concert). It was the first and last time I ever was on vacation with the family (in particular my Dad) that the entire vacation wasn't planned out to the last minute. The year 2007 was my lucky year in theory. During the year I was thinking that my number 7 was failing me in some aspects but as I've considered the events in my life over 2007, my lucky number really did hold true. I had an amazing year in both the ups and downs. The only exception to the number 7 has been in regards to sports numbers. It stems to wanting to be as great as my brother at baseball at a young age (like 4 years old I am sure). His baseball number was 5, so mine was always 5 too. I still remember taking my first photo in my #5 softball jersey when I made the team for the first time in high school (which is another story that I'll share at some point). I always felt amazing in that jersey! Having the #5 jersey is acceptable because it is an odd number and given this post it is safe to say that I am ODD.

7 comments:

Jewels said...

I like the number 7 too. 7 and 11. I'm weird too, I know.

Deborah said...

I think it's hilarious we both wrote posts about sevens on the same day without even consulting each other. Though my post is the bad side of sevens and yours is the good.
And about your little comment...first of all, it's a yahoo email, not a hotmail. Second of all, I'll remedy it all right. I'll send you an email from my gmail account so you can gchat me while I'm supposed to be working.

Scott said...

Nate was born on the 17th... and to be honest, I was a little concerned becuase I have always been and even number person (or a multiple of 5 if need be). I guess now I can be happy about seven. Thanks for the closure. :)

mariah christine said...

I've always loved the number 8. At first it was wonderful because I could look forward to getting baptized as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of lds at age 8. and then I started counting piano keys: 88. very exciting. too bad I don't have the biblical evidence yours does

Tara said...

Didn't realize the significance of "7" especially in the biblical sense, thanks for the mini Sunday school lesson. Are you the gospel doctrine teacher in your ward? We must be related- I can never wake up on an "even" number to the alarm, it's always random settings, 6:42 vs. 6:45, 7:21 vs. 7:30, you get the picture. I guess great minds think alike, I'll have to start incorporating and looking for ways to use more "sevens"!

Sheen said...

you're so cute and funny! how is ca treating you?

sus_kay@hotmail.com said...

Seven is a great number. I do like the odd numbers!! Eric always gives me a hard time because I HAVE to set my alarm in a number ending in 1,3,or 7!! Among other things that I always use those numbers for!