Monday, August 18, 2008

The Pillar on 3rd Street - Ardella Faye

Grandmas and I just as wee little one.
Grandma, Matt, and I
Grandma and Sam on our wooden swing

I’ve not only lived on 3rd Street in Tetonia, but I have had the privilege of living next to my Grandparents the whole time growing up. Whenever I wanted to get out of work or away, my hideout was at my Grandparent’s home. I have had some of the greatest times with my Grandparents. I’d watch TV with them until my mom would call and then my Grandpa would say “she’s on her way home”- yet I would still be on the couch. I think my Mom always knew this was the case, considering you could see their front door from our kitchen window. We would always have a dish of ice cream after every meal at their house! My Grandma Berry is an amazing cook. She makes the best homemade chicken noodle soup. She also fries fish better than anyone I know. My Grandma was the lady that taught me to eat fish bones with a slice of bread, so you don’t choke-which has been a valuable lesson. They both have been two of my best friends and the love that I have for both of them as a couple and as individuals can't be expressed adequately in words but I hope that my actions towards others just might reflect all they've taught me.


My Grandma Berry had always wanted a grandchild to graduate as an honor student. I remember as a young kid stating matter-of-factly that I would be that grandchild for her. There were times I could have slipped on the grades and granted there were times when I would have liked to (when I found out I’d have to speak at graduation), but I made that commitment to my Grandma and I truly meant what I told her that afternoon. I graduated top of my class. I remember sitting on the front row looking at my dad, who was breathing “in and out” with me so I wouldn’t hyperventilate. The gym was packed and as I stood to give my speech I was calm, and for the next five minutes I forgot about being scared. Part of what made me calm was seeing my Grandma Berry sitting on that front row and seeing in her eyes a dream come true and also learning in that moment a very important lesson: My Grandma Berry’s happiness and hopes were in the right place: her family.


Ardella Faye Berry supported and loved her family in such a way that left me in awe at how easy and willingly she gave of herself. As my Mom spoke at her funeral last week she used a very concise and appropriate word to describe my Grandma in all her many roles in life: Charitable. A heart full of forgiveness Ardella Faye lived for her family each day. I highly doubt I'll ever live up to my namesake (I error more on the Jack Berry side of personalities), but I will sure try my best to continue to deserve the love she's bestowed upon me.


I can still see myself swinging on that wooden swing underneath the Willow tree in her yard while she looked out from the kitchen window at me and would smile. God be with you Grandma till we meet again on a wooden swing underneath the Willow tree!


1 comment:

Jewels said...

Your post made me cry! I'm so sorry for your loss. I know it was a happy occasion though. Those stories reminded me of my Grandma. Ardelle was an amazing woman. Tetonia won't be the same without her. :)