Sunday, February 22, 2009

Flashback: Examples to Emulate

When I was a kid, I’d visit Dick and Alta Egbert (they lived across the road from Lindy’s and were sweet second Grandparents). My Dad’s best friend growing up, Brad was their grandson so naturally we were family by extension. Dick and Alta were sweethearts, not just some old married couple. Dick was a sheepherder and a Senator. Yes, he was both and yet when people asked him what he did he would always say a sheepherder. It is just one perfect example of the humility of Dick Egbert. As long as I can remember Dick and Alta sat in the same church pew every Sunday, middle section, second row, right side. Dick never missed bearing his testimony of the Savior in a fast and testimony meeting. He also ALWAYS carried cinnamon hearts in his pockets. Dick would always have me sing to him when I’d visit, and then he would sing to me. He always said he loved my voice and oh how I loved his, especially when he’d sing “How Great Thou Art”, probably because you could hear in his voice he knew those words were true. When Alta started to get really sick I would go and sit with her during the afternoons, even when she’d forget other things she always remembered me. They finally moved into an assisted living center in Rexburg and gradually aged but never did their love for one another waver nor their testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Dick and Alta out lived all of their six children but remained steadfast in being happy and living their lives to the fullest. They both were amazing people, the ideal of how to grow old.
My Dad spoke at Dick’s funeral and told a story about my great Grandma Eleanor Berry that every time I hear it I am always touched with the lesson that Dick taught that day. William and Eleanor Berry hadn’t always been active members of the church but Dick was serving as Bishop of the Tetonia ward and they became active and Dick called Eleanor to be the RS president. While attending a stake meeting a sister made a comment to Dick regarding her shock of hearing that Eleanor Berry was the RS President: “My only memory of Eleanor Berry is a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other”. Dick’s short but profound response: “Well sister, your memory is too long”. From the standpoint of instruments of the Lord I have to be thankful for Dick Egbert is right up at the top. If it weren’t for an inspired Bishop inviting William and Eleanor back to church and losing his memory of past habits who knows where I’d be today. The Lord has divine forethought to bless many generations! I am sure that when Dick returned to our Heavenly Father he was met by Alta and their children and that the Lord said: Well done, thou good and faithful servant. What examples to emulate.

6 comments:

Deborah said...

There are a lot of great examples in that story that we should emulate. The one that hit me the hardest is that we need to not judge. If the atonement works for us then it can work for someone else too.

Scott said...

I think I met these people once when we went to sing in an assisted living ceter in Rexburg. He sang for us, and taugh us a song. It was so wonderful. I could tell by the way the two interacted that they loved each other dearly. What a touching story. Thank you for sharing.

Jess said...

Sadie,

Yep you probably did! They were at the Homestead/Beehive house off of main street. Great people!!

Brandy said...

OHH Jess, you made me tear up, I'm so ashamed to say but I havn't really thought about Dick and Alta in quite a while... Thanks for he reminder.. Those two are what good people are.. Good GOOD thought!!!

Katie, Adam, Izzy & Emmy said...

I HAVEN'T THOUGHT OF THOSE TWO FOR A VERY LONG TIME..DICK ALWAYS MADE ME SING FOR HIM WHEN EVER I RAN INOT HIM NO MATTER WHERE IT WAS...THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR MEMORIES....

Unknown said...

Good Memories! I love how they made everyone feel that they were SOOO special. I remember everywhere I would see Dick he would proudly tell people "that is my little neighbor girl, isn't she so cute." I remember getting a little older and I was at a basketball game at the old high school helping in the concession stand and he told everyone in the stand and people buying their food about how I was his neighbor girl and wanted me to show everyone my smile. Kind of embarrassing but made me feel important. I also loved that when you came to visit them they would convince you to stay for a long time. I think we spent quite a few mutual activities at their house the entire time we had planned to visit multiple people. I still envision him every time I go home to the Tetonia church house, he sat in the same spot in the front of the chapel and it was customary to go get some cinnamon hearts every Sunday. Like Jess said I think the memory that is most engraved in my mind is that he would bear his simple yet profound testimony of the Savior every chance he had. Great people!!! I had forgotten the story about Eleanor, thanks Jess for the reminder!