Monday, October 26, 2009

Inner Workings Of The Stanford Junior Mind Part 9

Why I love Fridays…

This week is Homecoming Week at Stanford. We play Arizona State this Saturday. Go Card! This week also reminds me that some day I will have to graduate, bummer…

I love this week though, I love seeing kids holding onto bicycles as their parents walk the bike for them because the pedals are too far away. I love seeing all the cardinal gear. I love desperately avoiding adults as they jump out in front of my bike. I love to see people taking pictures of the main quad, Hoover Tower, and the Claw.

Actually the last one is a lie, that part scares me, it makes me feel like I’m living in a tourist attraction. I like to call it the Truman Show syndrome.

Homecoming week also fortunately reminds me of the blessings I have. There is a certain type of energy around homecoming week that is contagious. Speaking of the energy, today I saw a procession of Europeans. I assume that they were, I am totally stereotyping them... Hmmm let me start over, today I saw a procession of stereotypical dressed up Europeans. There were at least forty of them, walking from the back of main quad up to white plaza, right by my engineering classroom. Very vogue, very hip, and very paisley. One man had a paisley shirt on. Yes bright breeze, light berry, and dried orchid paisley-ed shirt.

I got those color names from the J. Crew website. I could have said a blue, pink, and purple shirt, but this man was above your average Crayola colors. He was fashionable in his tailored black pants and patent leather shoes. He was chic. He was self-assured. He was paisley.

As a mind exercise I tried finding an expression for the area of a square minus a circle while getting ready for bed. I think I have finally become an engineer.

No comments: