Friday, October 31, 2008

"High-Fives" Do NOT Equal Salutations

Does anyone else have an annoyance for using the "high-five" as a salutation? I find that most use the "high-five" as a defense tactic to not knowing the social procedure in many different social settings. I have this friend that actually got a "high-five" as the good night gesture (hehe...I am guessing there wasn't a second date). My personal philosophy is when in doubt just wave if you aren't a "hugger" and you still feel a gesture is necessary in the situation. There are many acceptable times a "high-five" is in order such as (please note these are just a few examples):

  • During a sporting events and your team makes a great play.
  • You play a practical joke on a sibling with another sibling.
  • Playing flag football and someone makes a touchdown (this might call for a "ten" if it was a great play).
  • Playing "Too Slow Joe" with a toddler.
But please no "high-fiving" Jess as a salutation!

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Wow, someone actually got a high five at the close of a date? What was that guy thinking? He probably wasn't, and that's the problem.

You know what else bugs me? When people wear their sunglasses inside. I hate that. And then they try to talk to me, but I'm like I don't know where you're looking, so I don't want to look at you. I also hate it when people say, "thanks," and then hang up. It's not a goodbye, it's a thank you.

Brenna said...

Bitterness and rage on the high-five thing... get it all out!! And by the way, was that date thing about me? For reals, I do think it happened to me once. But, let us look on the bright side, at least the guy who did that didn't give me a hug! For creep-o reasons, and of course, my personal anti-hugging personality. Muahahaha!