Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My Position

Facebook Note From Kimball again...affirming his position!

Of the many ways humans can relate to one other, the physical, emotional and even spiritual intimacy between a man and a woman privately and publicly committed to each other is the most sacred of all.

I used the word 'sacred' because I am spiritual. If you are not religious, try 'special' or 'separate' instead. I heard somewhere that 'sacred' in Hebrew means something like 'separate' anyway.

I don't have any studies or conclusive clinical studies to support this statement, I just feel the truth of it in my heart. I can't think of too many possible amendments or changes to this statement that don't result in something that feels a little less true. I'm sure it has something to do with biology. I'm sure it has something to do with physiology. I'm sure it has something to do with how our species is perpetuated. I'm sure it has something to do with feelings and tenderness and hopefully love. But each of these factors on their own surely contribute, but do not entirely account for this truth to me.

That said, I believe in, value and revere friendship in all its kinds and degrees. I believe in, value and revere companionship in all its kinds and degrees. I believe in, value, and revere commitment in all its kinds and degrees. But this greater truth readily and easily coexists with, and is even the culmination of, all these beliefs and values for me.

It's my belief that marriage as an institution reflects, affirms, and reinforces this truth. I believe that people fail marriage, I don't believe that marriage fails people.

No comments: