Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Galilee Valley

Day 1 we went to the borders of Syria, Jordon, and Lebanon! Okay, not exactly to the borders but very close! Those three countries all border Israel by the Sea of Galilee and we drove as close as we could get...while still being safe obviously. We also went to Capernaum, the Valley of Armageddon, and had some amazing foods...and ended my day with ice cream (the only way to end a day of traveling, a Jess Berry rule of traveling). Visiting Capernaum was cool, given that that was where Christ lived most of his three year ministry and the original steps to the synagogue that is referred to in the scriptures is still there and was interesting to see. The sea of Galilee is gorgeous!
The view of the Sea of Galilee from Tiberia.

BE, ME (our wonderful hostess, BE's Mama, and our tour guide, she made the experience wonderful!), and I on the balcony of the LDS church in Galilee. Can you say, lucky members that attend that branch?
With LS
You know, just the latest form of transportation on a busy Israeli street...the man has a death wish driving that on the street.
Arabic "salad"
Obviously based on my face, delicious!

Attempting to look like a tourist...
The remaining walls of Peter's home in Capernaum.
On the temple steps.
Original Capernaum city walls
Temple in Capernaum.
I was the driver all day on Day 2. ME is a very brave lady to hand the wheel over to a California driver...It was frightening at first, no one obeys traffic laws here but after awhile I started to get the hang of it and I am alive to tell about it! It helped me not get car sick though today so that is a plus! After only three days in the country I became a true Israeli driver according to BE. This bus was trying to butt into my lane of traffic, I laid on the horn, waved my hands, starting yelling: No, No, and then sped up so he couldn't cut us off. You are either on the defense of offense driving in Israel, no middle ground. The aggressive nature of the drivers probably will have lasting effects on my driving...yikes.

The Ellwangers took us to a friend's house for a traditional Arabic meal that evening It was so AMAZING!!! I mean I have had most of these foods through the years in the Bay but none of them compare to this meal. The family was so hospitable! They fed us eight delicious desserts! EIGHT and I tried all EIGHT! The husband is a retired CPA and we had lots to visit about. Every day I've been here I've met someone either from Idaho (2 last night) or people that know people I know. It could be that the LDS community is small or that I'm Ron Berry's daughter...probably a combo.
See how tight I'm gripping that steering wheel?
Putting on a brave face for the passengers.
The Sea of Galilee from the Mt. of Beatitudes.

Love this! That husband gets major bonus points for carrying the wife's purse.
Mt. of Beatitudes
Real olive press
The location thought to have been where Christ performed feeding the 5,000 using 2 fishes and 5 loaves of bread.
Picture for Mama Berry (I bet you love the curly hair, right?)

The Galilee Valley is beautiful, probably the prettiest part of Israel.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I just got back from vacation. No where exotic. Just Nevada. But I'm catching up on your AMAZING adventure!!

First of all, you are hands down the bravest woman I've ever met. You DROVE?! In Israel?! Oh boy.

I love all the pictures. I think it's amazing you got to visit such sacred places. I can't wait to read more!!

sus_kay@hotmail.com said...

great posts. looks like you had a wonderful time. I wondered in your driving picture if you could get any closer to the steering wheel as well? are your knees touching the dashboard? :)