Saturday, August 27, 2011

Jerusalem- Day 3

What an amazing and interesting city. My favorite spot was the garden tomb. The spirit was so strong there. As I approached the tomb I was experiencing yet again the aches and pains of my mortality (my legs and back have had a rough go of it the last couple of days). When I got to the tomb I imagined how the Savior arose and for a tender moment felt His embrace. My friend turned to me and said, the Resurrection Jess Berry. I replied: I cannot wait, it will be a sweet day. Probably my sweetest day, to be resurrected with a perfected body, void of physical deformity and pains. Those aches and pains are just a tangible reminder how sweet that day will be.

The remainder of the day was a vivid movement of culture, the old city, the Western wall, people watching, Herod's temple, and being sadden by how the Orthodox Jews treat the Arabic people (both sides are to blame for the pressure cooker that is Israel, not just the "Arab terrorists"). I imagine Heavenly Father weeps by how the inhabitants of such a Holy Land treat one another.

The Ellwangers having lived in Israel seven years gave us both an historical and current cultural/political tour. It has been so eye-opening. One Orthodox Jew pushed me in the Arabic market, I almost decked him (haven't been that upset since CB called me names in PE and did get decked). This is very typical behavior of the Israeli people, somewhat rude to everyone.

The most wonderful words spoken in history!
Golgotha (surprisingly close to the garden tomb)
Christ's tomb
The tomb itself was rather small I thought
BE and LS in the tomb
The Damascus Gate and Arabic market (love the walls)

The love Ninja Turtles!
Walking into the market...
For MPR...thought of you when I saw these!
Butcher shops everywhere...very cool! Maybe my next profession?
Dome of the Rock
Sweet view of Herod's temple
Up close view of the temple
The Western Wall, it was very interesting to people watch at the Western Wall...the lady below was my favorite by far.
She had to have been 10 months pregnant, I was a little worried I was going to have to help her when she went into labor. She stood up, took her Torah, closed her eyes, started swaying/dancing, and then reciting her prayer. She was very involved in her worship, so much so that she didn't open her eyes as she ran into multiple children walking pass her...nothing was going to stop her. 20 minutes after we left the wall this same lady was on the street corner begging for money (rather common since almost all Orthodox Jews don't work in Israel).

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Your description at the tomb gave me chills.