Monday, September 1, 2008

Happy Birthday to My Mom, Nurse, and Friend

Yes, I am looking forward to holding my age as well as my Mom does. :)

Today is the 2nd greatest day in September (My Mom knows what the 1st greatest day is): My Mom’s birthday! For those of you that aren’t aware my Mom, Michelle Berry, is a woman of many trades. She is first and foremost a mother. She is a registered nurse, an accountant, a computer programmer, a bill collector, a CFO, a friend, a sister, a daughter, a neighbor, a Grandma, and the coolest Auntie. I have met many talented women throughout my life but I’ve never met another woman with such a broad spectrum of talents that performs all those talents and roles in such a magnificent way! I was told once that you should try to apply the principles that your parents exemplify in your own life. Not sure if I’ll ever measure up but I sure have an excellent measuring stick to work with, my Mom.

In honor of this special day I wanted to list out some specific reasons why I love my Mom:

1. Her sacrifices as a mother to make our lives richer.

2. Pushing me to exceed my limits with my cerebral palsy.

3. Late night talks in her bedroom.

4. Pushing early morning family scripture study (she didn’t have much luck but it was still appreciated).

5. Teaching and bearing testimony by example. For example: The way she took care of Grandma Berry or the way she takes care of Dick Barney (she really was meant to be a nurse, she has that nurturing personality) or the dedication she shows in her church service and visiting teaching.

6. Takes teasing! “That’s NOT Appropriate”

7. Rubbing my aching arms and legs.

8. Correcting our English.

9. Teaching me how to cook, to work at Berry Oil, to clean.

10. Being a great 2nd Mom to Reggie, Lacey, Samantha, Morgan, and any other kid we brought home.

11. Being a wonderful wife.

12. Teaching me to send thank you notes.

13. Being a constant best friend!

Happy Birthday Mom! I love you! You are the kindest person in our family and we really appreciate you balancing the rest of us out!

3 comments:

sus_kay@hotmail.com said...

very nice entry! I would have to agree that you do have a great mom. But just remember that she was my sister first!!! (so, I am probably just like her, right?)

Matt Berry said...

What about witch on a brooom??

Trena said...

Okay, Okay.....she was MY sister before yours, Susan! :)

Yes, Michelle has been a great example to all of us & we all love her lots!

Trena